Are you ready to discover your college program?
Health and wellness counselors are individuals who provide clients with the tools and motivation necessary to accomplish their emotional and physical health goals. Because their work involves a great deal of activity that can be accurately categorized as coaching, health and wellness counselors are often referred to as health and wellness coaches. Some of the ways that the health and wellness coach might assist the client would be by providing them with the tools and information necessary to shed weight, eat better, reduce the amount of stress in their life, and/or quit smoking.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Health and Wellness Counselor
There are a variety of different roles and responsibilities that a health and wellness counselor might provide. Some of them can include:
• Contacting participants that are eligible for wellness programs regarding enrollment processes
• Encouraging clients to adopt the behaviors that will contribute to a higher life quality
• Supporting operational components of the organization that are geared towards facilitating customer satisfaction
• Developing and subsequently implementing health and wellness seminars for employees and clients
• Developing and distributing health education materials
• Developing customized strategic plans for clients.
• Coordinating care services with other professionals in the health sector to optimize patient care services
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.
Generally, individuals who become health and wellness counselors obtain a bachelor's degree or more in nursing, health education, health promotion, nutrition, athletic training, or a similar field. In order to excel within this sector, professionals must obtain sufficient knowledge in subjects such as weight management, smoking cessation, pre-post natal care, nutrition, chronic conditions, and stress reduction. Oftentimes, health and wellness counselors who also obtain certification from an accredited health and wellness training program will be more marketable job candidates.
Critical Success Factors
As noted by Infinite Health Coach, individuals who wish to become wellness coaches should have and develop various characteristics and traits in order to precipitate success in their chosen career field. Some of those areas include:
• Self-Confidence. This trait is important because wellness coaches need to have the ability to express ideas or viewpoints that are not necessarily popular or common.
• Self-Control. A great wellness coach should be positive, composed, and focused during stressful moments.
• Conscientious. The wellness coach should be as organized as possible and strive to meet commitments and deadlines.
According to Indeed.com, a health and wellness coach can expect to earn about $42,000 annually. However, this annual income is subject to change based on a variety of factors including location, education, and level of expertise.
If you find the fields of health and wellness to be fascinating or would like to use your knowledge to positively impact the well-being of others, becoming a health and wellness coach may be right for you.