Missouri State University
| Staff Writers
Are you ready to find your fit?
Find the information you need to find, get into, pay for, and thrive in the best college for you.
Missouri State University, commonly called MSU or MO State, is a public, comprehensive institution of higher learning residing in Springfield, Missouri. It strives to provide a well-rounded education that emphasizes ethical leadership, involvement in the community, and cultural competence. It offers more than 180 undergraduate programs through its seven academic colleges. It also offers more than 90 graduate degree programs through its Graduate College.
Missouri State University was established in 1905 as the Fourth District Normal School. Its main objective was to provide education for future teachers. It became Southwest Missouri State Teachers College in 1919. In 1945, the schools name changed again to Southwest Missouri State College to reflect its expansion of programs. It became Southwest Missouri State University in 1972 in response to its diversity of undergraduate and graduate programs. Its enrollment exceeded 10,000 students in 1973 and more than 20,000 in 1990. The university finally became Missouri State University in 2005 to reflect its large student body, competitive admissions standards, and increased graduate programs. Today, Missouri State University if home to about 26,000 students, making it the state’s second biggest university.
Missouri State University Accreditation Details
The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association accredits Missouri State University.
The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs accredits the counseling programs at Missouri State University.
Missouri State University Application Requirements
• Complete and submit the application for admission
• Pay the nonrefundable $35 application fee
• Submit official ACT or SAT scores
• Submit official high school transcript
• Submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
• Complete and submit the graduate application for admission
• Pay the $35 non-refundable application fee
• Submit official GRE, GMAT, or MAT scores
• Submit official transcripts from previously enrolled institutions of higher education
• Complete additional requirements for specific programs
Tuition and Financial Aid
• Missouri resident: $7,306 per year or $210 per credit hour for courses numbered 1-599 and $268 per credit hour for courses numbered 600-999
• College of Health and Human Services: Missouri resident-$298, Non-Missouri resident-$569
• Non-Missouri resident: $14,746 per year or $458 per credit hour for courses 1-599 and $539 for courses numbers 600-999
• Missouri resident: $5,830 per year
• Non-Missouri resident: $10,708 per year
Missouri State University offers a variety of financial aid options to help students pay for their college education, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study.
• Presidential Scholarship
• University Scholarship
• Board of Governors Scholarship
• Provost Scholarship
• Deans’ Scholarship
• Inclusive Excellence Leadership Scholarship
• Inclusive Excellence Recognition Award
• Diversity in Education Scholarship
• Missouri State Advantage Scholarship
• Hutchens/SGA Centennial Leaders Scholarship
• Missouri State Promise Scholarship
• A+ Recognition Scholarship
• Missouri State Boys/Girls State Leadership Award
• Out-of-State Fee Waiver/Midwest Student Exchange Program
• Continue the Tradition Fee Waiver Program
• Transfer Academic Scholarship
• Missouri Community College Scholarship
• Federal Pell Grant
• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
• Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
• Access Missouri Financial Assistance Program
• Advanced Placement Incentive Grant
• Bright Flight Program
• Public Service Officer Survivor Grant
• Vietnam Veteran Survivor Grant
• Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant
• Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
• Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
• Federal Direct PLUS Loan
• Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
• Federal Perkins Loan
• Missouri Family Education Loan
• Alternative Loans
Federal Work-Study Program
Missouri State University participates in the Federal work-study program that provides students in need with the opportunity to work to gain pay to pay for their college education. Students work the same as any other student employee and they are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Actual pay varies on employer, position, and qualifications of the student.
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.
Psychology and Counseling Programs at Missouri State University
Missouri State University offers a variety of psychology and counseling programs.
The undergraduate program provides students with a solid foundation in psychology to pursue career options or advanced education. A Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or Bachelor of Science in Psychology are the degree options. Both options require the completion of at least 123 credit hours. The core courses include intro to psychology, public speaking, experimental psychology, social and behavioral sciences, and learning and cognition. Both programs are non-comprehensive and require students to complete a minor.
The master’s degree programs in psychology include clinical psychology, industrial and organizational psychology, and experimental psychology. All three programs require the completion of 47 credit hours including core courses, electives, and an internship or thesis and practicum experience. The clinical psychology core courses include statistics and research design, social psychology, ethics and professional issues, clinical communication skills, group psychotherapy, techniques of individual psychotherapy, and psychological assessment. The industrial/organizational psychology core courses include personnel psychology, organizational psychology, occupational health, program evaluation, group processes, and topics in industrial and organizational psychology. The experimental psychology core courses include perception, personality theory and systems, behavior management and change, cognitive development, human growth and development, psychology tests and measurements, and learning, memory, and cognition. A program in behavior analysis is also offered. The required courses include introduction to applied behavior analysis, conceptual foundations of applied behavioral science, observational methods and functional assessment, and ethical and professional issues. Upon completion of the program students are qualified to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst examination. A forensic child psychology graduate certificate is available to provide education to protect the integrity of interviews with children during criminal cases. The program requires the completion of 12 credit hours. The core courses include forensic child psychology, psychology of child abuse and exploitation, and forensic psychology child abuse and the law. Missouri State University also offers counseling programs. The master’s degree in counseling requires the completion of 27 hours of professional counseling core courses and the selection of a concentration area in elementary school counseling, secondary school counseling, or mental health counseling. The counseling core courses include tests and measurements for counselors, human development and personality, the helping relationship, diversity and multicultural issues in counseling, group counseling, and introduction to research in counseling. A specialist in education in counseling and assessment program is also available. The track options include elementary school counseling, secondary school counselor, and elementary and secondary school counselor. A minimum of 27 credit hours are required.
Students who complete the post-graduate counseling program at Missouri State University are prepared to take the examination to become licensed professional counselors.
With advice from our contributors, this page guides you through the process of beginning a private practice and can function as a starting-a-private-practice-in-counseling checklist.
A master's degree in counseling online provides an affordable option for students interested in helping people through challenges and difficulties. See our rankings for details.
When choosing between a Psy.D. and a Ph.D., psychology students can find help from this guide. The best path hinges on interests and career goals.