Argosy University – Salt Lake
| Staff Writers
Are you ready to find your fit?
Find the information you need to find, get into, pay for, and thrive in the best college for you.
Argosy University appears in our ranking of the Top 25 Most Affordable Master’s Degrees in Counseling in the West.
People who are interested in going into a mental health career can greatly benefit from earning a degree from the College of Counseling, Psychology, and Social Sciences from Argosy University. There is a multitude of degree programs available from this university, all at the graduate or doctoral level. Depending on the program students choose, they can put themselves on a path to become licensed as a therapist, psychologist, or counselor. There are also programs available for people who are interested in addiction psychology, sports psychology, and more.
All of the degree programs are focused on creating practitioners who understand the fundamentals of behavioral science. These students are trained to apply what they have learned in their studies to real life scenarios. Ethics are high on the list of concepts taught in these programs, as are issues relating to multiculturalism and diversity. Students learn these things through participation in class, research, and hands-on experiences.
The College of Counseling, Psychology, and Social Sciences offers 10 master’s degree programs and four doctoral degree programs. All of the master’s degree programs are Master of Arts programs with the exception of the graduate degree in Human Services, which is a Master of Science degree. The MA degrees include:
- Clinical Psychology
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Counseling Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- Forensic Psychology Psychophysiology
- Marriage & Family Therapy
- Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- School Counseling
- Sport-Exercise Psychology
For students who already have a master’s degree in a psychological field, there are doctoral degree options from the College of Counseling, Psychology, and Social Sciences, including three Doctor of Education degrees and a Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy degree. The three EdD offerings are Counseling Psychology, Counselor Education & Supervision, and Pastoral Community Counseling.
There are a number of reasons the College of Counseling, Psychology, and Social Sciences stand out from others. For example, there are both online and in-class experiences available. The majority of students enrolled in these programs attend class full time, and the school is known for attracting diverse candidates to its programs. Almost 30% of students enrolled in these programs are also over the age of 40, which is also a benefit for many potential students considering these programs.
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.
About Argosy University
Argosy University was created in 2001 when three schools, the University of Sarasota, the Medical Institute of Minnesota, and the American Schools of Professional Psychology all merged.
The University of Sarasota was founded in 1969 and focused on creating educational programs for working adults. It also had a popular distance learning program in addition to on-campus study periods, which was revolutionary for the time.
The Medical Institute of Minnesota was founded in 1961 and offered classes in medical technology, which was booming at the time.
The third school, the American School of Professional Psychology, was first the Illinois School of Professional Psychology, which was founded in 1976. The goal of the institution was to award clinical psychology degrees where students got practical training instead of focusing on research. This led to the creation of a new degree, the Doctor of Psychology degree, PsyD, which was another option for students instead of a Ph.D.
Today, Argosy University has 27 campuses across the country, and it offers online programs at the undergrad, graduate, and doctoral levels. Campus locations are in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.
Argosy University Accreditation Details
- Argosy University holds an accreditation by the WASC Senior College and University Commission. Other program accreditations include:
- The Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology Program at Argosy University holds accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association.
- The EdS in School Psychology at Argosy University is accredited by the National Association of School Psychologists.
- The Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program holds accreditation from The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
- The EdD in Counselor Education & Supervision degree is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
- The Doctor of Marriage & Family Therapy program and MA in Marriage & Family Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
- The EdD in Counselor Education & Supervision degree program is accredited by The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- The MA in Marriage & Family Therapy is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Argosy University Application Requirements
Applicants to Argosy University must submit an official application, which is shared by all campuses and the online program. Additional information that is required is a recommendation form, a disclosure and consent form, undergraduate college transcripts, and in some cases, a high school or GED transcript.
All of the graduate programs at Argosy University have different application requirements. So, potential applicants are encouraged to check with those requirements before submitting an application. General application requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited program
- A GPA of at least 3.0 in the past 60 credit hours of classwork
- English proficiency test scores if applying from a foreign country
- Admissions interview with an Argosy admissions counselor
- Personal statement
- Current resume
- Three recommendations
- Official transcript
- Application fee
Tuition and Financial Aid
For students pursuing an MA or MS in the College of Counseling, Psychology and Social Sciences, 2018 tuition ranges from $750 to $773 per credit hour. Doctoral programs range from $1162 to $1197 per credit hour. Online programs are $750 per credit hour. Programs range from 30 to 60 credit hours to complete.
Financial aid is available for many students who attend Argosy University. The first step in getting financial aid is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA. Students who qualify have options including loans, scholarships, grants, and more. Students who have a military background may also be eligible for tuition discounts. Students are also invited to look into work-study options as well as research opportunities on the Argosy University campus of their choice to help pay for their tuition.
Explore our list of mental health resources, including counseling for BIPOC. Find and connect with mental health organizations that center BIPOC needs.
Are you feeling anxious or stressed about adjusting to life after the COVID-19 pandemic subsides? Consider these tips as society returns to a new normal.
Your financial situation should not prevent you from securing care for your mental health. Discover ways that you can find free and affordable therapy options.