| Staff Writers
Are you ready to find your fit?
Find the information you need to find, get into, pay for, and thrive in the best college for you.
Drexel University is a private comprehensive research university residing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is dedicated to being among the country’s most civically involved universities with community partnerships incorporated into all aspects of academics and service. It prepares all students for success while concentrating on solving the greatest issues of society.
It is also dedicated to advancing knowledge and providing all students with a valuable, rigorous, and empirical education that is infused with technology and enhanced by the country’s leading co-operative education program. The Drexel Co-op program is known as a leader in experiential learning and it enables students the chance to gain up to 18 months of paid, full-time work experience in a related field to their program of study.
Drexel University’s Academy of Natural Sciences is the country’s oldest major natural science museum and research organization. Also, Drexel Online, is one of the oldest and most prosperous providers of online degree programs. Drexel University offers more than 200 degree programs through 15 colleges and schools.
Drexel University was founded in 1891 by Anthony J. Drexel as Drexel Institute of Art, Science, and Industry. The original objective was to provide education in the practical arts and sciences for men and women. The cooperative education program was introduced in 1919 and it became a main part to the school’s academic experience. The institute changed its name to Drexel Institute of Technology in 1936. The school officially became Drexel University in 1970. In 1996, the university started offering online education.
Today, Drexel University is home to about 26,000 students. The U.S. News and World Report ranks Drexel University number 96 in its National Universities publication, number 65 in its Best Value Schools, and number 14 in its Most Innovative Schools publication.
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.
Drexel University Accreditation Details
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education regionally accredits Drexel University to offer bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. It is also accredited to offer undergraduate and graduate certificates.
Drexel University Application Requirements
• Submit The Common Application or Drexel University’s Undergraduate Admission Application
• Pay $50 nonrefundable application fee
• Submit a 250 to 650-word essay via the application, no hand written essays are accepted
• Submit official high school transcripts
• Submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
• Submit two letters of recommendation, at least one must be completed by a high school counselor for freshman applicants
• Submit official standardized test scores, such as the SAT and ACT
• Submit Graduate Admission Application
• Pay nonrefundable $65 graduate application fee
• Submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions of higher learning
• Submit official test scores from standardized tests, such as the GMAT, MAT, or GRE
• Submit a personal statement of about 500 words, unless otherwise specified by specific program
• Upload a current resume, this is required for all graduate programs
• Submit letters of recommendation as required by certain programs
Tuition and Financial Aid
• First-Year Costs: $49,632
• Costs after the first year are determined by the enrollment for each term and depends on enrollment in classes or enrollment in co-op
• Graduate tuition varies by College of Education, in general tuition is $1,192 per credit hour
• Submit online application, there is no fee
• Submit official high school transcript
• Submit official transcripts from all colleges previously attended
• Submit two letters of recommendation
• Submit a personal essay
• Submit current resume as applicable
• Submit official scores from standardized tests
Drexel University offers a variety of financial aid programs
Georgia Southern University features a variety of scholarships for various majors, degrees, and class levels.
• Drexel Merit Scholarship
• Westphal Portfolio Scholarship
• Dragon Alumni Scholarship
• Dragon Family Scholarship
• Drexel Athletic Scholarship
• Drexel Global Scholar Program
• Drexel Legacy Scholarship
• Drexel Liberty Scholars
• Drexel Dean’s Fellowship
• State Scholarships Programs (Non-Pennsylvania)
• Federal Pell Grant
• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
• Drexel Grant
• Drexel Grad Grant
• School of Education Teacher’s Incentive Grant
• Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Association Grants (PHEAA)
• Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
• Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
• Federal Direct PLUS Loan
• Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
• Federal Perkins Loan
Drexel University participates in the Federal Work-Study, which is a need-based program for eligible students. The program provides funding for part-time job opportunities. The pay is at least the current federal minimum wage. Actual pay varies greatly on employer, qualifications, job duties, and amount of hours.
Psychology and Counseling Degree Programs at Drexel University
Drexel University offers an array of psychology and counseling degree programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The College of Arts and Sciences offers a bachelor’s degree in psychology, master’s degree in psychology, doctoral degree in psychology-applied cognitive and brain sciences, doctoral degree in psychology-clinical psychology, and a juris doctorate/doctorate degree in law and psychology.
The College of Nursing and Health Professions offers a bachelor’s degree in behavioral health counseling and master’s degrees in art therapy and counseling, dance/movement therapy and counseling, and music therapy and counseling.
The online programs include a bachelor’s degree in psychology, master’s degree in applied behavior analysis, bachelor’s degree in behavioral health counseling, and a graduate certificate in applied behavior analysis.
The bachelor’s degree in psychology focuses on psychological statistics and research methodology. Students gain a solid understanding of psychology theories and the analysis of research data. The program requires the completion of 183 quarter credits. The core courses include physiological psychology, psychology of learning, abnormal psychology, psychological research, computer-assisted data analysis, history and systems of psychology, cognitive psychology, experimental psychology, and psychological testing and assessment. The program also offers students the opportunity to participate in cooperative education/internship programs where they combine career-related employment with coursework. The bachelor’s degree in behavioral health counseling provides students with the necessary clinical competencies to help and support individuals suffering from mental illness and substance abuse conditions. The program requires the completion of 180 quarter credits. The required courses include life span human development, foundation of behavioral health care, counseling theory and practice, ethics and professional responsibility, introduction to addictive disorders, psychiatric rehabilitation principles and practices, multicultural counseling, group counseling, cognitive and behavioral counseling, and assessment and treatment planning.
After completion of the behavioral health counseling program at Drexel University students are prepared for various careers or to pursue graduate education in counseling related programs.
A master's in counseling online provides an affordable option for those who want to help people through challenges and difficulties.
Online clinical mental health counseling programs provide flexible and affordable options for those wanting to help people through difficulties. See our ranking of the top programs for details.
Explore our list of mental health resources, including counseling for BIPOC. Find and connect with mental health organizations that center BIPOC needs.