| Staff Writers
Are you ready to find your fit?
Find the information you need to find, get into, pay for, and thrive in the best college for you.
Hofstra University is a private, nonprofit institution of higher learning located in Hempstead Long Island, New York, about 25 miles from New York City. It is committed to providing quality education in an academic setting that promotes, nurtures, and supports lifelong learning. It focuses on small class sizes and teaching excellence to make sure students play a vital role in creating their own success, the student to faculty ratio is 14 to one. It offers about 140 undergraduate programs and 150 graduate programs through its various schools of education. Hofstra University was founded in 1935 as Nassau College-Hofstra Memorial of New York University at Hempstead. It started as an extension of New York University. The institution separated from New York University in 1939 and became Hofstra College. The college gained accreditation in 1940. In 1963, the school became Hofstra University and it was Long Island’s first private university. It began offering doctoral degrees in 1966. Today Hofstra University is home to more than 11,000 students. The university possesses full accreditation in 24 academic areas and 27 total areas. Around the nation, less than 100 postsecondary institutions hold this achievement. The U.S. News and World Report ranks Hofstra University number 63 in its Best Value Schools publication.
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.
Hofstra University Accreditation Details
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education accredits Hofstra University.
Hofstra University Application Requirements
• Complete and submit the Hofstra Online Application or the Common Application
• Submit official high school transcript
• Submit official transcripts from any previously attended colleges or universities
• Submit official standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT
• Pay the nonrefundable $70 application fee
• Complete and submit the appropriate graduate application for chosen program or the Hofstra University Graduate Application
• Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities in which the student was previously enrolled
• Pay the nonrefundable $75 application fee
• Submit additional requirements as designated by specific programs
School of Law
• Complete and submit application for law school
• Compose and submit a personal statement
• Submit two letters of recommendation (optional)
• Submit official scores from the LSAT examination
• Register with the Law School Data Assembly Service
• Complete and submit the AMCAS Application
• Submit official scores from the MCAT examination
• Submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
• Submit three letters of recommendation, two from individual instructors (one must be science) and one from a non-academic individual
• Pay the nonrefundable $100 application fee
Tuition and Financial Aid
• Full-time (12-17 credits): $20,550 per term
• Four-year locked in rate: $22,250 per term
• Part-time, 199-level and below courses: $1,380 per credit hour
• Charge for taking more than 17 credits: $1,380 per credit hour
• Zarb School of Business, graduate 200-level and above courses: $1,268 per credit hour
• Graduate 200-level and above courses: $1,240 per credit hour
Hofstra University offers a variety of financial aid options to help students pay for their college education. Examples of available options include scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study.
• Hofstra University Trustee Scholars Program
• Hofstra University Dean’s Scholars
• Hofstra University Presidential Scholars
• Hofstra University Grant Programs
• Hofstra University Provost Scholars
• Hofstra University Assistance Grant
• Distinguished Academic Scholarships
• Endowed Scholarships
• Academic Honors Transfer Scholarships
• Federal Pell Grant
• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
• Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)
• Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
• Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
• Federal Direct PLUS Loan
• Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
• Federal Perkins Loan
A variety of jobs are available for students who show a financial need. Funding for these jobs are allocated to Hofstra University from the federal government. The amount a student receives is designated on the award notification, but actual earnings depend on hours worked. Students receive pay on a biweekly basis. Work-study jobs can provide students with valuable experience related to a selected career or they can help with choosing a career.
Psychology and Counseling Programs at Hofstra University
Hofstra University offers a variety of psychology and counseling programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The Department of Psychology offers a comprehensive undergraduate program that examines the mind and behavior. A Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degree in psychology are available. Students learn about theories, methods, and research as they are related to various areas of psychology, including cognitive science, human and animal learning, child development, abnormal psychology, and social psychology. Students take core courses and classes in a specific area, such as health psychology, industrial-organizational psychology, and psychology and law. Graduates of the program will possess a strong liberal arts foundation and a solid understanding of human behavior. Graduates are prepared for a successful career in an array of areas including counseling and social services, human resources, education, healthcare, and public relations.
The Department of Counseling and Mental Health Professions offers various programs in counseling, creative arts therapy, marriage and family therapy, and rehabilitation counseling. The overall focus of the programs is to promote the psychosocial health and development of individuals. The Master of Science in Education in Counseling features two specialization options for students interested in school and college development counseling. Graduates from the school counseling track are certified school counselors who are able to work in grades kindergarten through 12. Graduates from the college student development counseling track are able to pursue jobs in various areas in post-secondary institutions. The Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling provides students with the education needed to work as licensed mental health counselors. An advanced certificate in mental health counseling and professional diploma in counseling are also available. The Master of Arts in Creative Arts Therapy is intended to prepare students to become creative arts therapists. Students learn through in-class instruction and practical learning experiences. Students can also choose electives in expressive therapies. The Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy prepares students to work as marriage and family therapists. The curriculum focuses on traditional and contemporary models of family therapy. The Master of Science in Education in Rehabilitation Counseling prepares students to work with various individuals with disabilities and helps them become more independent. Graduates will function as highly competent, culturally sensitive, quality-oriented professionals. The Master of Science in Education in Rehabilitation Counseling in Mental Health features specialty courses where students prepare for employment in mental health and specialized settings. An Advanced Certificate in Interdisciplinary Transition Specialist, Advanced Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling, Advanced Certificate in Rehabilitation Counseling in Mental Health, and Professional Diploma in Rehabilitation Administration are also available.
Hofstra University offers various programs to prepare students to work in the psychology and counseling fields.
With advice from our contributors, this page guides you through the process of beginning a private practice and can function as a starting-a-private-practice-in-counseling checklist.
A master's degree in counseling online provides an affordable option for students interested in helping people through challenges and difficulties. See our rankings for details.
When choosing between a Psy.D. and a Ph.D., psychology students can find help from this guide. The best path hinges on interests and career goals.